Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Easy As Pie Cowl


My friend Heather is a great dresser.  It's not so much that every time I see her I think "I wish I was wearing that" but that she has a great sense of style and that she knows what looks good on her.  I like to think that throughout my adult life, I've been taking baby steps toward my own happy place with what I wear.  (I'm a really visual person, so Pinterest has been a god-send for me for this kind of thing.)  This winter, several times I've had knitter's envy when Heather has worn a particular accessory: a rolled-edge charcoal cowl.  It looks so cozy, sits with perfect drape, and looks totally hand knit.  Not so, she told me when I asked, she picked it up somewhere.  Naturally, my first thought was "I could knit that."

Knowing well that I am an obsessive knitter, Heather wasn't terribly surprised when I asked if I could take a look at the item.  I measured, counted stitches and took some photos.  

Later that evening, I'd come up with my own version, which I've just realized can actually qualify as my VERY FIRST KNIT DESIGN---woot!  I've dubbed it the Easy As Pie Cowl, and it absolutely is.  I'm happy to share it here, in case anyone else would like to copy Heather's look:
_________________________________________________________________________________

Easy As Pie Cowl

one size
Yarn: Super Bulky weight yarn (I used the always affordable and sturdy Lion Brand Thick & Quick, 6 oz and 108 yds per ball, but you can use whatever you like)
Needles: 10mm circulars, 16 inches
Gauge: Okay I haven't quick calculated gauge yet for this project, but it's not too important for this one. 
Notions: Stitch marker if desired, to mark beginning of row.

Cast on 72 stitches and join in the round being careful not to twist your stitches at the join.  Continue in stocking stitch until you have approximately enough yarn remaining for a bind off row.  (You'll have to eyeball this...) 

Bind off loosely.  Sew in ends.  Enjoy.

I wore mine right away but feel free to block it if you like.  

_________________________________________________________________________________


This is the first pattern I've ever actually written up.  It's a simple one, but please let me know if there is a problem with it, and please, if you do decide to make the EAP cowl, send me a pic of your finished object.  :)

  





No comments: